The services offered to students on the Cora Barclay Centre School Support service is personalised to the needs of the child. The different types of service are outlined below.
Auditory-Verbal Therapy Sessions
Auditory-Verbal Therapy provides the core of the Cora Barclay Centre Early Intervention program, however, depending upon the needs of the student, direct support is provided through Student Services to develop and maintain audition, speech, language and cognitive skills.
The Cora Barclay Centre Student Services offers educations assitance to schools to enable them to meet the needs of students who are deaf or hearing impaired.
Levels of Service
The Cora Barclay Centre intensive service consists of weekly, or fortnightly face to face visits to the school by a Teacher of the Deaf. Video conferencing is also available for those students living in regional and remote areas. An individual program with goal setting in the areas of listening, language and speech is created for each child. The child's Teacher of the Deaf will also provide comprehensive oral lanaguage assessments and speech perception assessments as required.
In addition the Teacher of the Deaf can provide regular classroom support and strategies for mainstream classroom teachers including classroom observations, regular feedback and assessments of the classroom acoustics.
Assessment and Reporting
A variety of assessments and reporting options are available to children as part of our intensive service:
- annual assessment and reporting of oral language skills using standardised language assessments
- term goals developed from annual assessments and diagnostic therapy
- weekly lesson plans developed from term goals
- a comprehensive annual report detailing the assessment outcomes and the student's progress with acheivement of their long term goals
- annual assessment and reporting of student's speech perception in a variety of listening environments
- assessment and reporting on classroom acoustics
The monitor service offers visits to the child's school once each term or semester. This service can be offered face to face or via video conferencing for those in regional and remote areas. Like the intensive service classroom support and strategies can be provided for the mainstream classroom teacher along with all assessments.
Assessment and Reporting
A variety of assessments and reporting options are available to children as part of our monitor service:
- annual assessment and reporting of students' speech perception skills in a variety of listening environments
- annual assessments and reporting of students' vocabulary using a standardised assessment tool
- functional assessment of students listening ability in the classroom
- classroom observations
- recommendations on communication strategies and classroom acoustics